This last Saturday some friends and I had a yard sale. It rained and rained most of the morning yet we were so busy. The more it rained the more people stopped and looked under tarps for potential treasures. As it turned to afternoon, the sun came out and the crowds slowed. It was the weirdest thing. It was mostly overcast after the rain but the sun did come out for a little bit. A few hours after the yard sale I noticed I got some sun and then I realized I was a lobster! Holy crap I was red. There is no way there was that much sun to get that burnt. I brought sunscreen with me but I never put it on. I just didn’t think it got that sunny.
I usually burn pretty easily. My mother has wonderful skin. Olive skinned, she is over 60 and has almost no wrinkles, tans so well and almost never burns. My dad on the other hand, comes from a family of gingers. While he doesn’t have much red hair he still has the skin of a ginger and I inherited it. I think of looking at the sun and I burn. I hold a tan for about a week and then I am pale like a vampire. Ok that might a bit of an exaggeration but I don’t hold color well. Two weeks ago I was so careful, put on sunscreen 70 SPF and still got burnt a little.
So how do you treat sunburn? Over the years I have tried nearly everything. This go around I am using coconut oil. There’s nothing like feeling super greasy for a few hours to make the sunburn feel better. I do think it has helped with the pain and the heat. It does make it look worse. The oil makes it look a bit darker.
Several people swear but using vinegar or specifically apple cider vinegar. They say to use a wet wash cloth, put some vinegar on it and let it sit on the skin for a few minutes. I tried it once last summer and I don’t think it helped. The pain was still there, the heat was there, and I didn’t notice that it healed any faster.
There is always the green or crazy colored aloe gels out there. Some keep them in the fridge and tend to feel cooling when you put them on the skin. Years ago I heard that those types of gels create a barrier over the skin that traps in the heat in. This can cause more damage in the end. Who knows? But I try to avoid using these gels. They are so full of chemicals; there is no telling what you are putting on your skin. Ok yes I know it tells you on the container but WTF are in those things?
Many times I just use lotion to help heal sunburn. It is soothing and helps replenish the skin. Find a lotion with vitamin E and C in it. You should always be moisturizing your skin anyway. I’ve thought of just breaking off some of my aloe plant and using that. Does it work? How do you treat sunburn?